Cleaning experts warn homeowners of the cleaning products you should never mix when following viral home remedies and cleaning advice.
We’re definitely partial to hopping on a new viral TikTok cleaning hack, especially if it involves trying natural cleaning hacks. However, if you’re opting to experiment with your best cleaning products, then it’s important that we’re clued up on what to avoid mixing altogether. There are a handful of combinations that could actually pose a danger to your home and health.
We’ve asked the experts to give us the lowdown on what to avoid when scouring the internet for new hacks to follow, and how to ensure safety when cleaning your home.
8 cleaning products you should never mix
We know it can be extremely tempting to jump on the new cleaning hack going viral and making the rounds on the likes of TikTok.
‘People find it really satisfying watching creators mix together several cleaning products in an attempt to deep clean their homes but there is actually some danger that they’re creating really harmful and acidic chemicals,’ explains Ben Slater, fitted furniture expert at Online Bedrooms (opens in new tab).
‘Using certain cleaning products together can be extremely dangerous and potentially lethal. That’s why it’s important to know which ones should never be mixed to avoid accidents and protect your health,’ warns Lily Cameron, cleaning supervisor at Fantastic Services (opens in new tab).
‘Besides that, it’s commonly encouraged for homeowners and renters to create their own cleaning solutions by mixing common household ingredients and products. However, if you don’t know how to do this correctly, it may have dangerous consequences by producing highly toxic fumes or corrosive solutions, instead of being healthier.’
1. Bleach and ammonia
When mixed together, these cleaning agents produce a toxic gas called ‘chloramine’, which can cause serious respiratory complications and even be fatal. Both bleach and ammonia are commonly found ingredients in commercial household cleaning products. Lily Cameron at Fantastic Services advises homeowners to be careful when using them and make it a habit to always read the label on the packaging.
2. Bleach and vinegar
Bleach and vinegar can produce chlorine glass when mixed together, which can be extremely dangerous if inhaled, causing respiratory complications. Not to mention, this mixture also creates a highly corrosive acid that can damage surfaces in your home and irritate the skin and eyes if you’re not using protection.
3. Hydrogen peroxide and vinegar
When mixed together, these two products create peracetic acid, which is highly corrosive, causing skin and eye irritation, respiratory complications, and could even damage the nervous system.
4. Bleach and hydrogen peroxide
Mixing these two together can produce a chemical reaction that creates oxygen, gas, and heat, which could lead to an explosion.
5. Different types of drain cleaners
‘Different drain cleaners use different chemicals to clear clogs, and mixing them can result in a dangerous chemical reaction. For example, mixing an acid-based drain cleaner with a bleach-based cleaner can produce chlorine gas, which can be extremely harmful if inhaled,’ warns Lily Cameron at Fantastic Services.
‘Besides that, avoid mixing drain cleaners with bleach as well because it can result in a very dangerous chemical reaction in the small pipes. Drain cleaners typically contain lye and the chemical reaction it can produce when it’s combined with bleach can result in all the gunk returning back to your shower, sink or bathtub drain because it has nowhere else to escape.’
6. Different types of glass cleaners
When you’re looking to clean windows, clean mirrors, or even clean a shower screen, the same goes with the previous point that less is more. If you’re after a natural remedy for glass, we’ve tried cleaning with tea bags and found it extremely effective.
There’s no need to crazy with mixing different cleaners together, especially ammonia-based cleaners with acid-based cleaners. Mixing these can actually produce a toxic gas that can be very harmful if inhaled.
7. Rubbing alcohol and bleach
Mixing rubbing alcohol and bleach can produce chloroform, which is toxic when inhaled. It can cause dizziness, nausea, and even unconsciousness.
8. Toilet cleaner and bleach
‘Mixing toilet cleaner and bleach together can produce chlorine gas, which can cause respiratory issues and nose and throat irritation for healthy people,’ warns Lily Cameron at Fantastic Services.
‘Even if your toilet bowl is very dirty and there’s a lot of residue buildup, avoid finishing the job by pouring bleach in it after the toilet cleaner. This may not apply to every type of toilet cleaner on the market, but it’s generally best to not mix these products for your and your family’s safety.’
We know it’s extremely tempting to follow every new viral cleaning hack making the rounds on social media, but a hack is never worth the health and safety of you and the people in your household.
When taking on any cleaning task, be sure to read the labels on cleaning products and follow instructions carefully – don’t just take a video’s word for it.